Brief History of Dauphin Island United Methodist Church
In the summer of 1893, a camp meeting was held in Portersville, AL (now Coden). An evangelist from Florida named James Wine was the preacher. Working with him were two Methodist preachers, Rev. Francis Alexander and Rev. R. O. Coden. The Stombaugh family (who had moved to Mobile from Iowa for health reasons) sensed God calling them to begin a ministry on Dauphin Island. That fall, as the camp was closing down, the decision was made to hold a tent revival on the island. A tent was brought in by boat and was raised right behind our current Sanctuary building. The team for the revival was also aboard, and were joined here by others who had received Christ at the camp meeting. The Stombaughs built a log cabin on the site and began to hold services and Sunday School under a tabernacle, then under the trees outside the cabin.
The journey was not an easy one. This little group of believers endured sickness, persecution, and poverty, yet endured. In September 1894 the cornerstone was laid for the "Mission Church of the Christian Workers Association of Dauphin Island". They began to hold services in the new building which eventually became Dauphin Island Methodist Episcopal Church. That building was destroyed by a hurricane in 1916. The congregation met at the "Little Red School House" until the present sanctuary was completed in 1925. As the ministry continued, a Fellowship Hall was added in the 1950's, followed in the 1960's by a Sunday School wing. The Parsonage was built in 2001, and the Christ Life Center was completed in 2008.
Next to our Sanctuary building stands a majestic oak tree which can be seen in the pictures dating back to the days of the work of the Stombaughs. It stands today as an inspiration to those of us who are blessed to continue that legacy, reminding us of the promise of Isaiah 63:3 "they will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor". May it be so Lord.
Read The Complete History of Dauphin Island United Methodist Church 1893 - 2019 Below
You can read it here or click on the link in the upper right corner of the box below to download and print the .pdf file.